I love coconut oil. I purchase raw organic coconut oil from Trader Joes because it is very affordable. This is a must read article by Britt Aboutaleb. For more details click below.
Coconut milk is an excellent substitute for regular milk. It has a lot of saturated fatty acids and medium-chain triglycerides (MCT). These two organic molecules are easily burned as energy by your body. MCTs are super advantageous because they don’t require bile acids to digest in your small intestine. In short, it’s quite easy for your body to digest, meaning no upset stomach and no bloating!
- keeps skin and blood vessels flexible and elastic
- relaxes muscles and nerves
- helps in controlling weight
- helps in lowering high blood pressure
- helps in maintaining a healthy immune system
- promotes the health of prostate gland
- aids in building strong bones
- and helps to prevent anemia
I’d stay away from canned coconut milk as the packaging causes bisphenol-A (BPA) and guar gum to leach into your milk. Bisphenol-A is a horrible chemical that usually leaches from plastic water bottles and other plastic products and, if digested enough, leads to cancer and birth defects. Guar gum, on the other hand, isn’t necessarily harmful to you. It is just difficult to digest.
Instead, look to purchase your coconut milk in cartons. Silk milk is my favorite! I use it in a lot of my smoothies and it works wonders.